Friday, June 8, 2007

Venue Hunting: Getting ready

We have our first venue viewing tonight after work. We're going to go see the Plaza, ask a few questions that we have, and get a quote. I'm pretty nervous and not particularly looking forward to it. I suppose in our town, it is THE place for a wedding reception, not the only place, but the most popular. Which could be among the reasons why I don't really want to have it there...

But I did realize last night that when I envision the whole event, I don't see the Plaza, I see the hall above the hockey rink in a little town (very little town) approx 20 minutes away from where we live. The rink where his brother plays Big Six Hockey. The little hall that we've spent many nights after the hockey games, drinking and laughing with the boys. The little hall where a man I'd just met that knew my father got quite inebriated and decided to teach me to polka.

It's not a fancy hall by any stretch, it doesn't have much for windows, except those that look over the curling rink in the back side of the building, and a few at the front of the entry way. It's all hardwood flooring... and hardwood walls / ceiling...

But there are options around town that I can learn to like more. We'll have to do more scoping and figure out what our best bet is.